To work productively from home, you need to find a way to make your mind say, “I’m at work now, time to focus, no distractions allowed..”
Think of what it is like working at a job:
- You have to work and not be distracted.
- You have to give value for your pay.
- You have one purpose for the day – doing your work.
Future Proofing – I believe it’s the ‘Future’
If you can make an income outside of a job, the world is a much less scary place Click to find out more
Full disclosure: If you also want to Future Proof your life and decide to go further with this, I’ll receive a commission – it’s a way to earn an income on line after all.
When you work at home, for yourself, you need to do whatever it takes to get your mind into the same space. Some suggestions:
- Give yourself some psychological cues to feel like you are at work, and this shouldn’t be negotiable:
- Put on your ‘working clothes,’ ‘working lanyard,’ ‘working hat’ – whatever you like.
- Have your ‘getting to work coffee.’ Even go for a morning walk to get that coffee and bring it home to get started. It will help clear your head for getting started.
- Put on your ‘focusing headphones’.
- Let the clock get you started if you can set some ‘working hours’. Set a timer, or get your working music going. Mentally clock on.
- Go to your dedicated working space, or set one up on the kitchen table each day.
- Turn off your distractions. This means it’s time to get serious.
2. Set up your environment for success.
- Have everything you need at the ready.
- Do all you can within your budget to make a space for working that is very conducive to working.
3. Let others know you are at work.
- Promise them your undivided attention later, when the work is done.
- Enlist them as allies.
- If you have to provide for others, try to get that done before you start.
- Let your friends know that you are serious about your work hours. This is not drop-in-and-chat time — that can come later.